HISTORY OF HOTEL KIRCHBÜHL
Family Brawand, in four generations.
Friedrich and Marie Brawand-Schwab
At around the turn of the century, Friedrich Brawand, a 23-year old mountain family’s son, built the Kirchbühl guesthouse from scratch. Three years later he married the former cook of the guesthouse, Marie Schwab from Bargen in Seeland. They both ran the Kirchbühl guesthouse until 1946. They had 5 children. During this time, the guesthouse was only open during the summer. Fritz Brawand was a great pioneer: He was one of the initiators of the Firstbahn and later built the Bort mountain lodge on his own land.
2nd generation 1948-1974
Christian and Margaritha Brawand-Kaufmann
A winter season in the Kirchbühl became reality for the first time thanks to the construction of the nearby Firstbahn. In 1949, Christian was allowed to continue his father’s farm as well. In 1959, the long-awaited road access was finally realised. Margrit took care of the hotel and their 7 children. Christian Brawand also worked as a mountain guide and ski instructor. He spent many years serving the glacier village as mayor and in the grand council of the canton of Bern.
3rd generation 1974-2004
Christian and Rosmarie Brawand-Imboden
In 1975, Christian and Rosmarie Brawand-Imboden took over the hotel. In 1979, the guesthouse experienced a first, impressive expansion to a 3-star hotel. In 1991, further extensive renovation followed and resulted in its current 4-star size.
Furthermore, chalet apartments were steadily added nearby. Christian Brawand first established the family-owned gravel and concrete plant and also became involved in politics in the grand council.
In 2001, he purchased the Bort mountain lodge from his cousin Albert Schlunegger to bring it back into family ownership.
4th generation since 2004
Christian and Vera Brawand-Küng
Since 2004, Christian & Vera Brawand-Küng have continued to run the strongly positioned hotel business.
In 2005, brother Bruno Brawand assumed management of Bort mountain lodge and has dedicated himself to its conversion.
In 2011, the brothers, drawing on that pioneer spirit of their ancestors, purchased the neighbouring Gletschertal hotel and reopened it in June together with their hardworking wives.
Unfortunately, structural problems lead to its closure at the end of March 2012.
Investments continue to be made in the main businesses.