History of Hotel Kirchbühl
....a family affair since 1900 !
The Pension Kirchbühl was built at the turn of the 19th century by Friedrich Brawand, the 23-year-old son of a mountain farmer. Three years later, Friedrich married the pension's cook, Marie Schwab from Bargen in the Swiss Seeland region. They ran the Pension Kirchbühl together until 1946 and had 5 children. At that time the Kirchbühl was only open in summer. Friedrich Brawand, mostly called Fritz, was a great pioneer: he was co-initiator of the First aerial cableway and later built the Berghaus Bort (mountain hostel) on his own land.
Friedrich's son Christian together with his wife Margrit Brawand-Kaufmann took over responsibility for the parental business in 1946. Construction of the nearby First aerial cableway meant that a winter season in Kirchbühl was possible for the first time. In 1949, Christian also took over his father's farming business. In 1959 the long-awaited access road was finally built. Margrit was looki9ng after the hotel and their seven children while Christian worked as a mountain guide and ski instructor. He served the glacier village for many years as a dedicated President of the Municipal Council and a member of the Council of States.
In 1975, the business was taken over by Christian and Rosmarie Brawand-Imboden. In 1979 the pension underwent its first impressive extension, elevating it to a 3-star hotel. Another major building stage followed in 1991, resulting in today's 4-star status.
In addition, chalet apartments in the surrounding area were gradually added. Before this Christian Brawand built up the family gravel and concrete works and was also involved in politics as a member of the Council of States.
The firmly established hotel business has been run by Christian & Vera Brawand since 2004. Brother Bruno Brawand took over the Berghaus Bort and has totally renovated it with a lot of deduction. In 2011 the two brothers with the pioneer spirit of their forefathers bought the Hotel Gletschertal and reopened it in June 2011 with their competent wifes.
Due to structure problems with the building they had to close down the hotel in march 2012.